20080903

Art Murmur - 2008 Sept

This Friday is Oakland Art Murmur, the monthly art event occurring the first Friday of each month, when local galleries stay open until 9:00 or 10:00. The crowds are usually pretty thick, and with the warmer weather expected to continue through the weekend, will probably be even more so. Even if you hate art, Oakland Art Murmur is worth checking out because it activates Oakland, making it feel like a denser, livelier place - it is a kind of becoming.

From Oakbook via Future Oakland, I learned that Esteban Sabar Gallery has closed. I met Esteban and his husband Marty about a year ago at Art Murmur, and was immediately impressed by the dedication and enthusiasm both exhibited for Oakland and the local art scene. I haven't spoken with them recently, but I wish them well farming and painting in the Philippines, and hope they return before too long.

I'll be checking out Johansson Projects and Mercury 20, among others, as well as the Rock Paper Scissors collective, located in what is probably my favorite building in downtown Oakland.

Also on Friday from 7:00 to 9:30 is a benefit at the Nomad Cafe which was robbed in the recent crime wave in Oakland. Proceeds will be used to fund security enhancements as well as provide the employees who suffered through the takeover-style robbery some gift certificates to a spa or some such to rehabilitate their spirits. Don't know if I'll be able to make it, but I get over their often enough - it is my favorite building in the neighborhood.

No comments: